10. Don’t Overload Your Power Strips
When you overload your power strips there is potential for a lot of danger. Not only can it cause fires. Also, if you get too close to this mess you may never see those you love again.
9. Don’t Use A Power Strip With A Damaged Power Cord Or Receptacles
Damaged power strips can cause a lot of problems. They can start themselves or whatever appliance you have plugged into them on fire. Check all of your outlet strips before you use them or you could be wishing for the days when burnt toast when you’re late for work was the worst of your issues.
8. Don’t Use Power Strips If There Is Water On Or Near Them
Electricity and water do not mix. Water can cause a power strip to short out which can cause electrocutions or fire. Real life electrocutions are not like the funny cartoons of Tom and Jerry and they aren’t as easy to recover from either.
7. Don’t Place Power Cords Or Outlet Strips Of Any Kind Under Carpets Or Rugs
If cords are under rugs or carpets they are easily out of view. People often think that if it is only temporary nothing bad will happen. If it is only for Christmas decorations then that cord will be there such a short time it will be alright. Cords can receive damage from being walked on. This is especially true around holidays. This is due to the extra people in the home. Also, if a cord is hidden under a rug that means you can easily forget that it is there and trip over it causing injury. No one wants to be the star of the next commercial with the famous line “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”.
6. Don’t Put Metal Wear Into Receptacles
Metal conducts electricity. Your body can easily be electrocuted by electricity. Do the math here and don’t put anything that isn’t a plug into any kind of outlet.
5. Don’t Pull Cords Out Of Power Strips Except By Their Plugs
When you pull on a cord you have the potential of breaking that cord. You can short out the wires internally or you can even break apart the outer insulation of the cord leaving wires exposed to the elements and loved ones. We all know unplugging something from across the room takes that extra effort and that it’s so much easier at the moment to just yank the cord free. However, the few seconds of movement you saved will not be worth more than the potential cost of replacing whatever that power cord was attached to before you just pulled it apart.
4. Don’t Plug A Power Strip Into Another Power Strip
Power strips are not made to be hooked together in series. There is the potential of overloading one or both of the strips and then causing a fire or electrocution. Just move your appliances around to other wall outlets and save yourself the hazard of damages.
3. Don’t Force Plugs Into None Compatible Receptacles
Everyone who has ever traveled to another country has experienced this dilemma. They sell adapters so you don’t have to go without your precious hair dryer or curling iron while you travel the world. Everyone knows while traveling you take more pictures, those pictures will last a lifetime. If you try to plug in that hair drier without an adapter your dryer won’t make it through that first day.
2. Don’t Use Power Strips Or Their Cords As A Rope To Tow Objects Or Yourself
Power strips are not made to hold or tow any type of weight. Even in desperation using a power strip or its cord could result in serious injury or damage. If you’re really desperate to move something literally choose anything else besides electrical devices. The cords will break and you will just end up looking like a fool for not using the rope that you have in the basement.
1. Don’t Use Indoor Power Strips Outdoors
Indoor power strips are not meant to be in the elements. Therefore, rain, snow, or high winds could cause damage to your power strip. Damage could affect anything that is plugged into to that power strip. Furthermore, anything that the strip is plugged into could be damaged as well, like your house. As we said before water and electricity DO NOT MIX! You could get electrocuted, short out your power strip and devices, or even start a fire. High winds blow things all around like cows and trees. Debris could be blown into the outlets causing dangerous conditions as well.
Also, Check out our Facebook, Twitter and other blog posts for more information!