What is a Surge?
A surge is an increase in voltage significantly above the design level in a flow of electricity. Any household product can also cause a power surge in homes. The main causes can be from a storm or single lightning strike near your home. Also, power lines and utility poles that are not working properly due to damage by animals, tree limbs, and car accidents. The burst of electricity can enter your home by telephone or power lines. This can cause an overload of power that needs to escape somehow.
Why Use a Protector?
Surge Protectors are extremely important in the home. They can be found almost everywhere, especially in outlet strips. Outlet strips can be for anything you can imagine in the home. Without proper protection, they can also harm your electronics if an electrical storm were to come about. Current electronics are much smaller and more delicate than older machines and are therefore more sensitive to current increases. It’s a good idea to use surge protectors for high-end electronic equipment, such as entertainment center components. By using this protection, generally, you can extend the life of a device.
Key Tips and Tricks!
Here are some tips and tricks to keep in mind when choosing your protection!
- Always look for outlet strips that are properly tested to the standards of a UL certification.
- Don’t overload your outlet strip, this can cause too much electricity to run through the outlet strip at one time. This can cause fires, electric shock, and many more dangerous situations.
- Make sure to check your outlet strips on a regular basis. A strong enough electrical current could have broken the protection without your knowledge.
- Pay attention to how many joule ratings your outlet strip has. The higher the rating the better!
- Make sure you have an indicator light. This is for proper grounding in your strip.
Stay Connected with us!
You can also get great DIY ideas and our latest news on our Facebook page!