Did you know grounding straps save lives? Wait, what is a grounding strap? So glad you asked…
When’s the last time you picked up an electrical device and worried, “is this thing going to shock me?” Many of us never think about being electrocuted. Frankly this is due to an under sung invention some call grounding straps. These tinned copper braided ground straps help channel electricity.
- There were 5,348 deaths (from 1980 to 1992) caused by electrocutions accounting for 7% of all fatalities. This totals an average of 411 deaths per year. According to the CDC here: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-131/pdfs/98-131.pdf
- WebMD states that 63% of children under 12 who suffer from electric shock receive this injury from electric power cords and another 15% are related the power outlet itself.
- Less than 100 people died of electrocution each year from 2002-2009 according the CDC: https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/2009electrocutions.pdf
Grounding Straps Play a Critical Role with Safety
While many have not thought about being shocked by devices recently, this wasn’t always the case. Consider there were 5,348 deaths (from 1980 to 1992) caused by electrocutions accounted for 7% of all fatalities and an average of 411 deaths per year. According to the CDC here: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-131/pdfs/98-131.pdf In 1985 Falconer Electronics (FEI) was born in part to help resolve this exact problem. FEI have been manufacturing thousands upon thousands of ground straps throughout the years since here in the USA. These products are helping to keep countless people safe.
Grounding Straps play a critical role in safety for the people operating electrical devices. The role of ground straps is to protect you from electrostatic discharge (ESD) like that of lightning and static electricity, that would be emitted from electrical devices without the proper rerouting of the current to something with a safe earth ground.
Grounding Straps Protect Equipment
Beyond helping users of equipment get shocked by the ESD, grounding straps also protect the equipment itself from damage. Especially with components like circuits, preventing things such as short circuiting, overheated wires and more. Grounding straps literally save the lives of people and devices daily. An article on WebMD states that 63% of children under 12 who suffer from electric shock receive this injury from electric power cords and another 15% are related the power outlet itself. That means that 78% of the shocks happening directly because of the power intake, not the device, thanks to among other things, the proper installation of a grounding strap. In fact thanks to the grounding straps, less than 100 people died each year. 25% of the total just 20-30 years prior, from electrocution thanks to increased manufacturing safety guidelines and procedures.
Want to learn more about Ground Straps? Read the GROUND STRAPS: THE OFFICIAL GROUND STRAP RESOURCE GUIDE.
Wrapping It Up
Lastly, Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
In addition, please click these helpful links for more info:
Finally, to learn about Wire Harness Assemblies, please click below:
- Instant Wire Harness Estimate
- Wire Harness Manufacturing Terms, Tools, and Tips of the Trade
- Wiring Harness Assembly: The Official Resource Guide